Max Laeuger, born in Lörrach, Germany in 1864, was a multi-talented artist who created graphics, craft objects, ceramics, interior and garden architecture. He was also a professor and writer. From 1881 to 1884 Laeuger studied painting and interior design with Franz Sales Mayer at the Arts and Crafts School in Karlsruhe. He later taught there while working at potteries in Kandern during vacations. Between 1892 and 1893, he studied at the Academie Julian in Paris. In 1893, Laeuger began making lead glazed slipware, which he subsequently produced at the workshop of J. Armbruster in Kandern. His vases were decorated with low-relief designs and painted in bright colors.